Welcome to SciComm Hub! Since this is our first blog post, we thought we'd take the opportunity to tell you all why we decided to start this website, and what it can do for you!
If you are a graduate student pursuing a PhD in a STEM field and have ever thought about a career in science education, outreach, or communication (SEOC), we understand your struggle. The typical career path after you graduate with a PhD is to find a post-doc position (or two, or three...) for a few years, then start applying to tenure-track faculty positions at a 4-year college or university. There are many resources in place for people who want to pursue that career track. However, if you want to do anything else, it can be a bit more difficult to find your way.
Your institution, and even your advisor, may not be able to provide advice and support for your interest in an SEOC career. That's why we've created the Hub - we're collecting resources of many kinds to form a community and help students get on track for a career in SEOC.
We hope you'll join us in a few ways:
1. Join the community by adding yourself to the "Who Are We?" page. Send us a short bio and a picture of yourself and we'll post it.
2. Send us any articles or resources related to SEOC we may have missed. We're scouring the internet for new resources, but we want to make sure we get them all!
3. If you're participating in an SEOC event coming up, let us know and we'll add it to the calendar! You can also request volunteers for your event via the Hub.
4. Find us on Twitter! @SciComm_Hub
- Amanda Freise and Laura Haney
SciComm Hub Founders